Stones into Schools Book Review
January 12, 2010
Stones into Schools is a must read book! Greg Mortenson’s exciting and heart felt story about how he is promoting peace with books, not bombs, in Afghanistan and Pakistan is a story for all ages! I was inspired by the many sacrifices Greg and his team make on a daily basis to help educate children in some of the most remote places in the world.
Education is something so many of us take for granted, while these children and families go to all lengths to study. Children huddle together outside in the cold, in makeshift shelters, and in some of the most difficult situations and locations. Greg shares the details of some of his most dangerous ventures and heroic tales of children.
It’s critical that we all understand the educational plight of people globally and also the direct relationship that educating girls specifically has on promoting peace and increased prosperity in the world. Greg points out that there are still 120 million school age children in the world who are deprived of their right of education!!
I love the action steps that Greg Mortenson suggests, so if you don’t have a chance to read the book, consider taking action!
- Buy Stones into Schools Today!
- Visit http://www.stonesintoschools.com for more information or the Central Asia Institute (the non-profit Greg started that funds the schools and girls education scholarships)
- Suggest the book to a friend, library, bookstore, group, etc..
- Help your school start a Pennies for Peace project. Since 1994, more than 200 million pennies have been raised through this program!
- Make a contribution to the Central Asia Institute. It only costs $1 per month for one child’s education in Pakistan or Afghanistan, a penny to buy a pencil, and a teacher’s salary averages $1.50 a day.